Historical Attractions

Historical Attractions


Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta – Duomo di Como

Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta-Duomo di Como
Duomo di Como

The building of the Duomo in the Como began in 1396 and did not finish until 1770. The spectacular west front, built between 1457 and 1498.

Piazza del Duomo, 22100 Como

Tempio Voltiano

Como Lake Como - Tempio Voltiano Museum
Tempio Voltiano Museum

The Tempio Voltiano is a museum dedicated to Alessandro Volta, a scientist and the inventor of the electric battery. Alessandro Volta was born in Como in 1745 and died in 1827.

In 1800 Alessandro Volta invented the ‘Voltaic Pile’ an early version of the electric battery. Inside the Temple is a small museum with equipment and documents on display that Alessandro Volta had used to carry out his experiments.

Viale Guglielmo Marconi, 1, 22100 Como

The Life Electric

Como Lake Como - Life Electric Sculpture
The Life Electric Sculpture

The Life Electric is a contemporary sculpture dedicated to the physicist Alessandro Volta (1745–1827). Designed by Daniel Libeskind and completed in 2015. It is located at the end of Diga foranea Piero Caldirola on the front of the Lake. It is made from stainless steel and a great place to watch the boats arriving and leaving Como.

Diga foranea Piero Caldirola, 22100 Como

Broletto di Como

Broletto di Como - Como Lake Como
Broletto di Como

The Broletto di Como adjoins the ancient Cathedral (Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta-Duomo di Como). The construction dates back to 1215 and built in the Gothic-Romanesque style while the Renaissance elements of the facade date back to the 15th century.

Currently the Broletto is used as a congress hall and for art exhibitions.

Piazza del Duomo, 22100 Como

Teatro Sociale

Teatro Sociale - Como Lake Como
Teatro Sociale

The Teatro Sociale theatre was designed by architect Giuseppe Cusi. Construction started in early 1812 and finished in August 1813. In 1854 an additional thirty eight new boxes were added for a total of 98 and was re-opened in December 1855.

Among the performers who appeared during the 19th and early 20th century were Paganini, Giuditta Pasta, and Francesco Tamagno.

In the 1930s the theatre was turned into a cinema for a while. However, in 1944 it became the alternative opera house for Milan’s La Scala when it was damaged during the war. After major-works and remodelling took place, it now has 900 seats with five tiers.

Via Vincenzo Bellini, 3, 22100 Como